Today, Yongqing Zhu from the Zhejian province in China is sharing some tips on being an international student in the U.S. She currently studies Business Administration at the University of San Francisco.
Since International students usually spend several years studying abroad, I would like to give all new students some tips and tricks to better prepare and master your journey.
1) It is up to you what you make out of your time studying abroad. You can (more or less) choose which path you will go. You can decide to completely indulge yourself in the simple, fun college experience and become a party animal, OR, you can choose to actually take advantage of the academics and gain valuable knowledge, and set goals to achieve each semester and graduate with an amazing degree. My recommendation is to focus on studies, with a healthy amount of fun!
2) Talking about culture shock, at first, you will feel excited about everything that is happening around you. However, when you become used to your new life(style) and feel bored about your studies, make sure to keep an active attitude to prevent yourself from falling into a phase of sadness and feeling homesick.
3) A great way to keep yourself busy and engaged is to join some organizations and meet new and different people. This is a great way to interact with upper-level students and experience the differences between cultures.
4) When it comes to studying, writing papers and revising for exams, make use of all available resources that the University provides you, such as from the library and organized study groups.
5) Keeping a healthy lifestyle is the most important part. Make sure you get enough sleep and exercise regularly without the supervision of your parents, that you may be used to from back home.
6) You should divide your time equally. Managing time outside of school is essential for your entire study life. You should make short and long-term plans. Making your plans more specific will help you reach your goals and be successful easily.
7) Build good relationships with your classmates and professors. A smile, good and continuous communication play important roles in sharing ideas.
8) When it comes to holiday time, please try your best to travel as much as possible. It is a great way of taking a real break and will make your study time more interesting. On top of it you will get to know this country deeply.
Please always remember that studying abroad is the best thing you can do for yourself 🙂