Can I Work While I Study Abroad?

startup-photosThis guest post originally appeared on the GoToStudy blog. GoToStudy specializes in helping overseas students find the their ideal university and course, and connecting them with consulting agencies that can guide them to their goal.

This is a common question from prospective international students. Working while studying provides a useful source of income, and it can also be a great way to make new friends, improve your language skills, and acquire some solid general work experience.

However, the rules and conditions for international student employment are complex and they change frequently. Governments may change their policies in reaction to local employment conditions or the mood of the electorate. For example, it was recently announced that the UK government will cancel work rights for students on certain visas.

If you’re interested in working while studying abroad, here is a general overview, provided by GoToStudy, of the requirements and restrictions in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, and the U.S. Remember to check the government websites for the most updated policies before pursuing any type of employment.

CountryCan I work while on student visa?Can I stay on and work after I complete my studies?
AustraliaYES, but you can work no more than 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session (does not apply to periods of vacation offered by your education provider). You cannot undertake work until you have commenced your course in Australia. YES. If you meet these the requirements, you might be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa (Subclass 485) which will allow you to remain in Australia to work.
CanadaYES. Full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs, are allowed to work part-time off campus and full-time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit.YES. If you studied full-time at a qualifying Canadian school for at least 8 months, you can apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit within 90 days of receiving your final marks.
New ZealandYES. You may be allowed to work up to 20 hours each week and full-time during all scheduled vacations and/or during the summer vacation period if your full-time program of study meets one of the criteria. YES. After you have completed your studies in New Zealand you may be eligible to apply for a WD2 Post-study work visa. Eligibility is dependent on a number of factors including length of study and level of study.
UKYES. Provided that you are holding a Tier 4 (General) student visa and you are studying at a university on a degree-level course, you are allowed to work no more than 20 hours a week during term time and full-time during vacations. YES, but working after graduation in the UK can be a bit complicated. There are two options. You can get sponsored for a Tier 2 (General) visa, for which the lowest wage is £20,800. Or, up to 1,900 graduates a year who have been awarded a degree in the UK and who would like to set up a business can apply under the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa category.
USAYES, but on-campus only. Students studying on a F-1 visa may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. NO. In most cases, you’ll have to return to your home country to lodge your visa application for the appropriate type of Work Visa.

Leave a Reply